Local Mutual Aid groups
If you are self isolating, or are less able to leave home, there are local groups of people offering support. There are also ways of volunteering to help people in need.
Mutual Aid for Evelyn Ward (the area north of Deptford Station)
WhatsApp is a smartphone app where you can chat to local people about needing, or offering, support to others. There are WhatsApp groups for most wards in our local area. On joining, if you send a message about what you need or how you can help, one of the volunteers will be in touch. Pick the group which seems most right for you. People will let you know if there's a more appropriate group for you to join.
Essential shops selling food and drink remain open, but have reduced opening hours and different measures in place to protect people and support the most vulnerable and in need. Please keep a 2 metre distance between those around you and follow directions from staff. They are putting their lives at risk to help you. This information was last updated on Wednesday 8th April.
- Asda Mon-Sat, 8am-10pm. Sun, 11am-5pm.
- Deptford Food Centre (previously Nisa, Deptford High Street)
- IcelandMon-Sat, 9am-6pm. Sun, 11am-5pm.
- Sainsbury's (New Cross Gate) Mon-Sat, 8am-8pm. Sun, 7am-5pm.
- Sainsbury's (Creek Road) Mon-Sat, 8am-8pm. Sun, 7am-11pm.
Priority opening hours for NHS ID holders
- Mon-Sat, 7.30-8am at all Sainsbury's stores.
- Mon-Fri, 6-7pm at all Iceland stores.
Priority opening hours for elderly people, carers and disabled people
- Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 8-9am at Sainsbury's.
Some local businesses have switched to a delivery service for food and drinks and need your support through this time. To the best of our knowledge these businesses are taking measures to protect their customers and staff, but please get in touch if you don't think this is the case and we'll review which businesses we promote here.
- Villages Brewery is now delivering nationwide. Cases of 24 cans for £49.50 + £6.50 delivery.
- Isla Ray Café is opening for takeaway service, Thu-Sun, 12-5pm, with home delivery coming soon.
- The Tapas Room is opening once a week on Thursday, 11am-1pm. Social distancing is in place.
- The Birds Nest pub are offering deliveries of fruit and veg boxes (£10 mixed veg or mixed fruit), as well as Burgers (Mon-Sat) and roast dinners on Sundays. Check their Twitter feed for the full menu and call or text to order and pay on either 07412 912 931 or 020 8305 6503. Bookings and deliveries available Mon-Fri, 5-9pm and Sat-Sun, 1-9pm. Card payments only. Fruit and veg box orders taken before midday for same-day delivery.
Free school meal vouchers
If your child was receiving free school meals you can access weekly shopping vouchers for £15 for each child who was receiving the meals. To receive these vouchers, you need to contact your child's school. Links for the local schools are below:
Wellbeing and support
Below is a list of resources and organisations to support your mental and physical health.
- Children and young people
It's perfectly normal to feel scared, and it can help to share how you're feeling with other people. They might well be feeling the same way, or help reassure you. Childline is here to support you should you need someone to talk to outside of your friends and family. The Doctor also has a message for us all.
- Non-UK nationals
Everyone has the same access to the NHS for the testing and treatment of Covid-19. The Mayor of London has which explains more fully, and offers advice for people with expiring visas or other concerns.
- Domestic abuse
If you are in immediate danger call 999. If you're deaf or hard of hearing, you can use the textphone service by calling 18000. You can also register for emergencySMS. Refuge provide online services and telephone helpline (0808 2000 247) to support people experiencing domestic abuse or violence. The government also has also published a list of further resources. If you are hurting people you live with, you can contact Respect on freephone 0808 802 4040 (open Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm).
- LGBT+ people
You may like to follow Deptford Pride for more info when we have it on alternative plans for this year. The LGBT Switchboard is open everyday 10am-10pm on 0300 330 0630 providing a listening ear for anything you want to talk about. Anti-violence charity Galop offer support for LGBT people experiencing hate crime, sexual violence or domestic violence.